WELCA (Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America): All women of
the church are also members of WELCA, Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. This organization provides a caring way of getting to know one another and does much to support the ministries in our church and many community organizations. Through their fund raising efforts Bethesda’s WELCA group provides financial support to many international and local organizations like Westhaven Youth Shelter, Prison Re-entry program, Church Women United and U.S.O. programs.
The women of the congregation meet several times a year for social gatherings. Each year WELCA sponsors an Agape Meal on Holy Thursday and an Advent Tea in December for women members and their guests.
Recent activities sponsored by WELCA include:
- Christmas Shoe Box Ministry for Cleveland and South America.
- Making large quilts from donated materials which are sent to Lutheran World Relief for distribution in developing nations.
- Hosting an ecumenical quilting group which makes lap quilts for cancer patients at the Moll Cancer Center at Fairview Hospital.
- Making knitted chemo-caps for cancer patients at the Moll Cancer Center.
- Making Easter Corsages for all residents of the Lutheran Home.
- Baking cookies for the USO in April.
- Host circle meetings and provide luncheons in the Spring & Fall.
- Donate funds to worthy causes with in Bethesda on the Bay and the community.
- Serve refreshments at funerals, receptions and other gatherings at Pastor’s request.
- Periodically have a Used Treasure Sale or other fundraisers.
The WELCA Board meets on the 1st Tuesday of the month at 9:30 AM in the church lounge.
Ada Ruth Circle: These women meet on the 1st Wednesday of the month to share a dessert, fellowship, and enjoy a special presentation.
Prayer Group/Prayer Chain: All are welcome to begin their week with prayer. The group meets in the sanctuary at 10:00AM on Mondays. The concerns of church members are lifted to God by this group. The prayer chain prays for all our members and friends, as well as concerns for our world.
The Book Club: This group meets monthly to discuss a selected reading in an atmosphere of honest sharing of ideas.
Let’s Eat Out: meets at a different local restaurant on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at 6:00PM. Delicious meals and conversation are enjoyed by attendees.
Needlers: This group meets on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday at noon in the church lounge. The leaders share knitting, crocheting, and cross-stitch skills in an atmosphere of friendly conversation. The group produces cancer caps as well as personal care items.
Quilters: This women’s group meets on the 3rd Friday of the month at 9:30AM to make quilts for Lutheran World Relief. The group designs and produces 12 quilts per year and dedicates them in the fall to families around the world.
Peacemakers: The Peacemakers is a group of women who meet every Thursday at 9:30a.m. to make quilts for newly diagnosed cancer patients. We always welcome new members!
The Advent Tea: This is a beautiful holiday tradition held on one evening in early December. Women members and their guests first worship in the Sanctuary, then adjourn to the Fellowship Hall to enjoy conversation, holiday desserts, and beverages.